Tip Calculator

Tip Calculator

Should I tip, and how much? There are several industries in which it is customary to leave a tip for services rendered, but how much to tip? Examples of some people that might deserve a tip from you are waiters and waitresses, hairdressers, taxi drivers, bellhops, maids, etc. The decision to leave a tip is most often based on your satisfaction of the service. Use our tip calculator as a resource to take the guesswork out of tipping.

After deciding whether or not to tip, you must decide how much. The standard for American culture is generally in the range of 10% to 20% depending on what services have been performed and how well the person did. For example, you may be more inclined to leave your restaurant server a 15% tip based on the amount of the bill as opposed to giving a 5% or 10% tip to a taxi driver. Calculating the amount of the tip can be confusing which is why the tip calculator below comes in so handy. When you aren’t able to access a tip calculator to calculate the tip amount, there’s always the quick math method.

To calculate a 15% tip, take 10%, divide it by half and add that to the original 10%. Sounds confusing! Here’s an example:

Say your bill is some weird amount like, $15.83. Just round up to the nearest whole dollar amount, so $16.00. Well 10% is easy to calculate as you just move the decimal point over one place. So 10% of $16.00 would be $1.60. Okay, now take half of that, which is .80. Now add these two together 1.60 +.80 = $2.40. Math for 20% is a little simpler; just take 10% of the total and multiply by 2.

But we want to make your life easier, so just insert the numbers into the tip calculator below and leave the math for someone else to do. Below we have included a small guide to help you know how much is customary to tip for some professions.

Waiter/Waitress/Server – 10%-20%
Bartender – 15%-20%
Taxi Driver – 15%-20% (more if they help with bags)
Valet Parking – $2
Food Delivery Person – 10%-20% (based on difficulty of delivery)
Hairdresser/Barber – 15%-20% (at least $1 for haircut)
Washroom Attendant – $0.50-$1.00
Grocery Bagger – $1 (per bag if they load them in your car)
Furniture Delivery – $5 (per large item)
Mover – $10-$20 (per person)
Hotel Cleaning Staff – $1-$5 (depending on hotel quality)

Tip Calculator

  1. ?
ClearClear